Ghosts, either real or simulated, play a pivotal role in several Popeye stories, mainly as antagonists. In comics, the sailor hero is known to hate and oppose such entities, although other media occasionally portrays him as being skeptic of their existence.
Comics featuring ghosts
- "The Haunted House", a 1930 Thimble Theatre storyline
- "The Search for Popeye's Poppa", a 1936 Thimble Theatre storyline
While Popeye is searching for his long-lost Pappy, the latter employs a ghost disguise.
- "Davy Jones and the Sea Goon", a 1941 Thimble Theatre storyline
- "Ghosk Town!", a 1972 Thimble Theatre storyline
- "Spook Ship", a 1975 Thimble Theatre storyline
- "Ghosk Ship!", a 1979 Thimble Theatre storyline
- "Ghost Island!", from Popeye #3
Popeye goes to rescue Swee'Pea from a ghost-infested island.
Popeye and Olive try to convince Swee'Pea that an abandoned mine is haunted.
Popeye's house and his ship are invaded by a gang of ghosts.
Poopdeck Pappy pretends to be a ghost.
Swee'Pea finds a black ghost in his toy box.
The shipwrecked Popeye and his friends end up on a haunted island.
- The Popeye the Sailor "Ghosk Stories" special, including the following:
- "The Billowbrew Ghost", from Popeye the Sailor #124
Popeye's latest encounter with Patcheye, at Billowbrew Hall.
Theatrical shorts featuring ghosts
Popeye, Olive and Wimpy's misadventures aboard an old and very-much haunted ship.
A supposedly haunted hotel is really Bluto playing pranks on Popeye and Olive.
Much like in the above, Bluto plays several pranks on Popeye and Olive.
The shipwrecked Popeye and Olive get on board a haunted ship.
Television episodes featuring ghosts
Popeye and Olive must enter 'the Haunted House' during a rainstorm and are pestered by three ghosts.
Popeye is haunted by a mischievous ghost.
- "Boo Who"
At an old mansion, Popeye and Olive are harassed by both Bluto and real ghosts.
Dinky deals with a ghostly invader in Sandy and Monica's aunt's house.
Video games featuring ghosts
The fourth main area in the game is the ghost-infested land known as Ghost Rock, where Swee'Pea must be saved.
This game features a slot machine with a haunted house theme.